Enrollment Information of “Confucius Institute Scholarship” program of Tianjin Foreign Studies University
Tianjin Foreign Studies University (TFSU) , founded in 1921, offers a number of language and cultural programs to Chinese and overseas students of various educational backgrounds. The main campus and Binhai campus occupy an area of 1040 mu with a floor space of nearly 200,000 square meters. Most of its buildings are in the classical and elegant Western European style. The clean and quiet campus is an ideal place for the teaching and study of foreign languages, of international trade and economics, and for foreign studies and academic research. The university is authorized to grant doctoral degrees in “Research on Translation of Important Literature of the Party and State”, and master’s degrees of 4 primary-discipline programs, 22 secondary-discipline programs and 4 professional programs. The university also offers 37 undergraduate programs, namely, English, Japanese, Korean, German, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Portuguese, Italian, Swahili, Indonesian, Burmese, Malay language，Chinese Language & Culture, Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages, World Economy and Trade, Law, Finance, Educational Technology, and Information Management and Information Systems, Administrative Management, International Politics, Economics, Human Resource, Marketing, Financial Management, Accounting, Advertisement, Mass Communication, Tourism Management, Translating and Interpreting, Business English, Animation, Digital Media Technology, International Business. The university is associated with many international universities and benefits from the interaction and exchange. We warmly welcome international students from all over the world to study at TFSU.
I. Category & Eligibility
The 2016 Confucius Institute Scholarship Categories are:
1.Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) Students
2.Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study Students
3.Scholarship for One-Semester Study Students
Application is open to applicant who owns a non-Chinese citizenship, aged between 16 and 35, in good health condition, (Applicant is currently working in a Chinese language teaching position shall not exceed the age limit of 45).
1. 汉语国际教育专业硕士 资助期限为2学年，可选择在2016年9月1日或2017年3月1日入学。申请者须具有学士学位或相当学历，汉语水平不低于HSK五级180分、HSKK中级50分，提供毕业后拟任教机构工作协议或相关证明者优先。
This category provides a sponsorship for 2 academic years. Admission for students is either on September 1st, 2016 or March 1st, 2017. Applicant should own a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 5), and a minimum score of 50 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). Applicant who is able to provide the employment agreement or certification upon finishing the study from designated working institutions is preferred.
2. 一学年研修生 资助期限为11个月。面向孔子学院（课堂）学员，海外本土汉语教师、中文专业学生、HSK考试成绩优秀者，不招收在华留学生。汉语水平不低于HSK三级180分、HSKK初级60分，或者不低于BCT（A）180分、BCT（口语）180分。
2. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 11 months. Application is open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, overseas Chinese language teachers, Chinese language major students and excellent performers in HSK test. International students who are now studying in China are not eligible for the scholarship. Applicant should have a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 3), and 60 in HSKK test (Beginner Level). Alternatively, applicant should hold a minimum score of 180 in BCT (A) , and a minimum score of 180 BCT (Speaking).
3. 一学期研修生 资助期限为5个月。申请者无来华留学经历，汉语水平不低于HSK二级120分、HSKK初级40分，或者不低于BCT（A）100分、BCT（口语）120分。
3. Scholarship for One-Semester Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 5 months. Applicant should have no prior experience of studying in China, but have a minimum score of 120 in HSK Test (Level 2), and a minimum score of 40 in HSKK (Beginner Level). Alternatively, applicant should have a minimum score of 100 in BCT (A), and a minimum score of 120 in BCT (Speaking).
“Chinese Bridge” (Chinese Proficiency Competition for Foreign College Students) Winners who have been awarded the 2016 “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate” can apply for admission according to the scholarship specified in the certificate.
II. Majors & Admission
The subjects that applicant can choose is Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages and Chinese Language and Literature.
III. Scholarship Coverage, Criteria and Academic Assessment
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
Tianjin Foreign Studies University will provide scholarship holders with free dormitory rooms (usually double rooms).
Living allowance is granted by the university on monthly basis. The allowance criteria per person are:
* One-Academic-Year Study, One-Semester Study: RMB2,500 per month
* MTCSOL: RMB3,000 per month
During the study, for any students who is absent from China of personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding legal holidays), the allowance will be suspended during absence. Allowance will be terminated in case of schooling suspension or dropping out for personal reasons.
Comprehensive medical insurance is purchased by the host institutions in accordance to relevant regulations on international students stipulated by the Ministry of Education of China.
The degree scholarship program applicants (MTCSOL) are subject to annual academic performance review. Only those who achieve outstanding records in academic and Chinese language proficiency are entitled to a full scholarship for the following year; those who achieve average academic records are entitled to partial scholarships; the others will not be entitled to scholarship any longer. Partial scholarships consist of tuition fee, accommodation fee and comprehensive medical insurance. The One-Academic-Year Study and One-Semester Study programmers are required to attend Chinese language proficiency test before graduation. Test fee is reimbursed by the university.
IV. Admission Procedure
Scholarship recruitment is open all year round on a trial basis. For applicants, please find admission procedures and scholarship recruitment results on the Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn).
1. For application, please log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn) to register, complete the Confucius Institute Scholarships Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
2. Entrusted by Hanban, Confucius Institutes (independent Confucius Classrooms) in different countries, overseas Chinese language testing centers, educational and cultural sections of Chinese embassy and consulate, and host institutions in China are working as recommending institutions to engage in the applicant selection, materials review, host institutions connection, and collecting and handing over applicants’ documents to host institutions.
3. Once application materials are verified by the Division of Scholarships of Hanban as valid, Tianjin Foreign Studies University will then review the eligibility of applicants and submit the admission list to Hanban.
4. Hanban will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive selection. Normally, the admission results will be announced within 45 working days after the application materials are confirmed as valid.
5. After confirming with the successful applicants, Tianjin Foreign Studies University will post “Letter of Admission”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China” (JW202 Form), copy of the scholarship certificate and other relevant documents to the recommending institutions within 15 working days.
1. Incomplete or unqualified applications will not be processed.
2. Applicants will be disqualified from application in case of fraudulent application materials or application materials are completed and submitted by someone else.
3. Scholarship winners who cannot register with our university on time should inform us about the reasons in written form within 15 days before the admission date. For those who do not register as requested without reason, the scholarship will be canceled.
4. Scholarship will be canceled for those who do not pass the admission physical examination, drop out, or take schooling suspension during the study.
Confucius Institute Division，Tianjin Foreign Studies University
Address: No.117, Machang Road, Hexi District, Tianjin , 300204 , P.R.China
Application Documents for Confucius Institute Scholarships
If the following documents are not in Chinese or English version, notarization documents should be provided.
I. For all applicants
1. A scanned copy of the passport photo page. Applicants under the age of 18 shall submit relevant documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
2. Score reports of the HSK, HSKK or BCT, BCT (Speaking). Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions may submit the award certificate and the “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate”.
3. Recommendation letter signed by the head of the recommending institutions (please provide objective comments on the applicant, including whether the applicant is a student of Confucius Institute or other identity. Chinese language teachers shall submit an employment verification letter and a reference letter provided by the institutes they work for.)
II. For degree scholarship program applicants （MTCSOL）
4. Certification of the highest education diploma (or proof of expected graduation), and an official transcript.
5. Applicants of the Scholarship for MTCSOL Students are required to provide 2 reference letters from professors or associate professors. Those who can provide an employment agreement or related documents with the designated teaching institution are preferred.
III. We will contact applicants directly if other materials are required.